- Mr. Brightside
- The Way It Was
- Smile Like You Mean It
- Bling (Confession of a King)
- Shadowplay (Joy Division cover)
- Run For Cover
- Somebody Told Me
- For Reasons Unknown
- A Dustland Fairytale
- Read My Mind
- All These Things That I’ve Done
- When You Were Young
- ughhh, love the feeling of knowing The Killers can headline any and all festivals even when they don’t have a new album, total babes
- some found this set too short but I thought it was the perfect length for a Sunday night when I had work the next day and it was a million degrees outside
- I love when the band opens with “Mr. Brightside,” especially at a festival – if only because most people think everyone sees The Killers just to hear “Mr. Brightside.” But nope. Everyone stays and the band keeps playing on.
- “Run For Cover” sounded even better than the night before, if that’s possible. Brandon seemed lighter and looser, and I was into it. We’ve got a singalong on our hands, folks
- the crowd was freaking massive at the BB&T Center in Camden and everyone was so into it; over 30,000 people were there and we were right there in the 4th row center. incredible.
- #KILLSHADOWPLAY2017, I’M NOT KIDDING
- it was SO. GODDAMN. HOT. no. like, really. Brandon had to change his outfit halfway through the set – something I don’t think I’ve ever seen him do. Dave wiped his face with his towel between every single song, it was nuts. I’m almost positive the show ended early because it was so hot. I felt hot, tired, and old, so I wasn’t complaining.
(d) overall thoughts
In case anyone thought differently, New Jersey in the middle of June is hot. Attending a concert in New Jersey in the middle of June is hot. But attending a concert in New Jersey in the middle of June with 30,000 people in an outdoor venue is definitely goddamn hot. But, obviously, no one was going to miss The Killers just because of that.
The night was hot, the lights were hot, the crowd was hot, body heat packing everyone in, the distant rumble of thousands of fans standing behind me, and then the band came out. The fact that a band like The Killers can legitimately open a festival set with “Mr. Brightside” like it’s no big deal will never not amaze me. Recently, a flurry of articles have popped up questioning how it’s possible that “Mr. Brightside” has remained in the UK music charts for over a decade since its release. How is it possible? I don’t know, maybe it’s an incredible song that everyone instantly knows the words to and connects with because it’s catchy as hell, timeless, and uh, oh The Killers are phenomenal songwriters, and why is this a question again?
Even if you’re not interested in The Killers, or find them overrated, or annoying, or overplayed, or overblown, or uninteresting, or…whatever — I don’t think it’s unfair to recognize the effect they’ve had on generations of music fans. They haven’t promoted a real studio album with new music and haven’t played this particular venue since 2013 yet everyone around me knew every song for the most part. How many other bands can say that? Honestly. Who?
Most songs felt like business as usual – having seen a set like this many times – but that’s not a bad thing. I still feel like every time I’ve seen the band, they’ve grown as performers. Dave has been coming out of his shell again the last couple of years after an odd period of retreating behind his mane of hair, and genuinely looks happy to be performing again. Ronnie is P u l l i n g O f f those white pants and Brandon’s voice and energy feels stronger than its ever been. We miss you so much, Mark. “Run For Cover” sounded even better hearing it the second time live and I can’t wait for the rest of the world to hear it. The boys are cooking something special and I’m ready for a taste.
Bottom line: After seeing this show and hearing a taste of The Killers new music, I really feel like the band is on the precipice of something great. Over a decade of success, the delight of millions, and integrity in performance proves that all signs lead to a pot of gold for the guys from Las Vegas. Something special is on the horizon and I feel so lucky to be witnessing it.